Monuments and Memorials
It is fortunate that some memorials from the earlier church of 1410 were saved and transferred to the new building in 1849-50.
Entering by the south porch you will see two monuments these were both previously sited in the chancel of the 1410 church. The one on the right is to Sir George Hervey and his wife and children who lived at the moated house of Marks approximately one and a half miles North West of the town centre. Sir George was Lieutenant of the Tower of London and died in 1605.
The monument on the left is to Dame Anne Carew, sister of Sir George, who also died in 1605. Conservation work by Taylor Pearce was completed in 2001.
The oak statue of St Edward the Confessor was donated in 2001, by the carver was Ivor Livi.
The three brass plaques relate to the installation of the new bell frame in 1922, the installation of electric light in 1928 and the installation of a replacement tower clock.
Also in the porch is a plaque to the memory of William Everett, a former Vicar of this church and a Fellow of New College, Oxford, who died on 11th November 1827. A further plaque with Latin inscription is dated 1734. As these predate the present church, it can be assumed that these plaques were previously in the original church.
The magnificent 16th century monument to Sir Anthony Cooke and his family was certainly in the old church. This superb piece of sculpture in alabaster and marble is believed to be the work of William Cuer, who came from Holland in 1541. Cuer has other work ascribed to him in Westminster Abbey, and the chapel of St Peter-ad-Vincula in the Tower of London.
Sir Anthony was the most distinguished member of this important family, and because of his most exceptional ability in educating his family, became preceptor to Prince Edward, later King Edward VI. He is shown kneeling facing his wife, with two of his sons behind him; four of his illustrious daughters kneel behind his wife. All six children were living when the monument was erected and either Mildred or Elizabeth composed the long Latin inscription.
Sir Anthony, his forbears, and descendants occupied nearby Gidea Hall for some two hundred years. Queen Elizabeth I paid a visit the hall in 1568.
Miss Inger Norholt sympathetically and beautifully restored the memorial in 1973. Close by the Memorial on north side of the church is an epitaph to Sir Anthony Cooke. There is also a plaque to the Sterry family who were buried in a vault beneath the old church between 1826-42.
Continuing along the North aisle, there is a marble memorial to James & Amelia Trott, members of an old Romford family who lived in Laurie Square. The brass plate is a memorial to four men from the 1st Volunteer Battalion, Essex Regiment who died in the Boer War (1900-02).
Nearby Joanna Bamford is commemorated. Joanna was the wife of the Parish Clerk; she was also the mother of the artist Bennett Bamford. Bennett left the town a fine collection of his drawings of Romford in the late 19th century.
The north vestry houses two plaques. One in memory of John Badger Weller (right
) who died in 1757 and the second in memory of Alexander & Alice Black. Alexander (left
)died on 11.7.1835 and Alice on 14.1.1871; both are buried in a vault beneath the church.
In the Chancel is a Westmorland Slate tablet, to the memory of Roger Reede "Farmer and Cloth Merchant" who died in 1483. Roger founded the Almshouses that bear his name to this day. This tablet was erected in 1983 commemorating the 500th anniversary of his death and the completion of the new Almshouses in Church Lane. Roger was buried in the original chapel.
Opposite is a brass plaque to the memory of Lieutenant Eric Alfred Wright, a Lance Sergeant of the London Scottish Regiment, who died at Alexandria on 21st June 1915. Eric was a member of the Wright family medical practice in the town.
The Lady Chapel reredos was given in remembrance of Elizabeth Anne Mashiter.
A small brass tablet (left
) commemorates Helen Fraser a Mother’s Union member for 30 years.
The Lady Chapel screen (right
) erected in 1907, in memory of Emily Rosa Matthews who died in 1906.
In the south aisle, there is a memorial to William Mashiter, who died in 1890. William was the son of Octavius Mashiter the head of a prominent Romford family during the 19th century. William gave the land on which the Victoria Cottage Hospital was built in 1888, and he was a generous benefactor when the hospital was enlarged in 1893.
An oak memorial commemorates those from Romford who died in The Great War (1914-18). It bears the names of 262 local men who gave their lives.
The "Old Contemptibles" memorial is above that to the Normandy Veterans in memory of those who fought and died in the Battle of Normandy.
Under the gallery are the armorial shields of Edward the Confessor and William of Wykeham. William was born in the village of Wickham in Hampshire in 1324, from which place he took his name, although his father was John Long(e). He became Bishop of Winchester in 1386 and was also Chancellor of England. Much of the land in the area was under the control of the Bishop, who exerted a profound influence on the ecclesiastical position of Romford and Hornchurch within The Liberty of Havering, the parishes of Romford and Hornchurch later becoming under the patronage of The Warden and Hornchurch within The Liberty of Havering, the parishes of Romford and Hornchurch later becoming under the patronage of The Warden and Fellows of New College Oxford, some 600 years later they continue as our patrons and are responsible for the appointment of incumbents to the living.